Chocolate Chip Pecan Pie

Erin asked for my Chocolate Chip Pecan Pie recipe a few days ago, and being the blog crazed person I have been lately, I decided to just put it up here. I got this recipe from covering a luncheon in Lake Charles for the American Press. It was more of a cooking demonstration than a luncheon, and they handed out recipes in the end. I love this recipe because you make the crust in the pie plate, and its quick, easy and less messy. The crust is kind of salty to make up for being less flaky than other pie crust, which is good next to the chocolate. But if that's not your thing, just use a frozen store-bought crust. I've never done this, but during the demonstration the chef topped the pie with peppermint whipped cream. He made fresh whipped cream with a mixer, then added a few tablespoons of peppermints that he had ground up in a food processor until they were superfine like sugar. It was amazing on the pie -- and on top of coffee.

Chocolate Chip Pecan Pie
Crust:
1 1/2 C of all purpose flour
1 t of salt
1/2 C oil
2 T milk
Combine ingredients and press into a 9'' pie pan.

Filling:
1 C sugar
1/2 flour
2 eggs, well beaten
1 stick of butter, melted
1 t vanilla
1 C chocolate chips
1 C pecans, chopped
1/2 C coconut
Mix sugar, flour, eggs, butter and vanilla. Fold in chocolate chips, pecan and coconut. Pour into unbaked pie crust. Brush edges of pie crust with cream or egg wash (optional) to brown crust. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes or until brown.

So there you go, EP. Enjoy!

As for me, I'm looking for a good pumpkin pie and an apple pie. Does anyone have tips/recipes? Or other favorite pies?

-Sarah

1 comments:

Erin said...

I made this pie the other night sans coconut, and it was incredible. Thanks, Sarah!