Braised Kale with Bacon and Cider

So I had a half a bunch of kale left after that salad the other day, and I didn't want it to go bad while I went out of town this weekend. Thanks to Cooking Light, I made this delicious dish and ate it as the main dish instead of a side. Here y'all go:

Braised Kale with Bacon and Apples, from Cooking Light
Yields 6 servings (2/3 cup each)

3 slices bacon (I used turkey bacon)
1 1/4 c. thinly sliced onion
1 lb. chopped kale
1/3 c. apple cider
1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 c. (10 oz.) diced Granny Smith apple (I used Gala)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
(I added a tsp. of minced garlic)

In a dutch oven or large saute pan, cook chopped bacon for 5 minutes or until crispy. Remove from pan with a slotted spoon, reserving drippings in pan. Add onion and garlic to pan and cook 5 minutes or until tender. Add kale and cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes or until wilted. Add cider and vinegar, scraping the bottom of the pan to remove crispy bits, and cook covered for 10 minutes. Add apple, salt and pepper and cook another 5 minutes or until apple gets tender, stirring occasionally. Top with bacon and serve.

I had to add some margarine and olive oil because I didn't have much drippings left from the bacon, but that's not a big deal. I added garlic with the onion, which the recipe didn't call for, and I used a gala apple instead of a Granny Smith, but it was still absolutely delicious. I didn't hae quite as much kale as the recipe called for, either, but it worked out just fine. Y'all seriously need to try this one.

0 comments: