King Ranch Chicken

Well hello, ladies! I decided it's been far too long since I've posted anything here, especially since I cook at least one big meal a week. So let's start this gig back up.
I needed something to do with all the massive amounts of turkey leftovers my mom sent me home with, because, to be honest, I really don't eat much meat. Especially not by itself. I'd rather have a salad or soup or something like that any day. So I decided to make King Ranch Casserole with turkey instead of chicken. It turned out pretty good, although the turkey got a bit dry (I always find turkey dry, however) but I also had to leave it in the oven a bit longer because my guests were late to dinner...and I took a nap on the couch. But it's really simple, so here you go.

1 can Cream of Chicken soup
1 can Cream of Mushroom soup
1 can Rotel tomatoes and chiles
1 can chicken broth
2-4 chicken or turkey breasts (I had a good 2 lbs. of turkey, white and dark meat, but it really was too much. Two breasts would be about right.)
1 package corn tortillas
Shredded Cheddar cheese
Salt
Pepper
Granulated garlic
Red pepper

Mix together both cans of soup, Rotel and about 1/2 to 3/4 of the chicken broth in a large bowl, and add salt, pepper and garlic to taste.
Boil or saute chicken until done, or use leftover chicken.
In a separate bowl, pour remaining chicken broth. Cut tortillas in half, dip in chicken broth until wet, and layer the bottom of a casserole or baking dish until covered.
Spread 1/3 of the soup mixture over the tortillas, enough to cover them, and sprinkle half the meat on top. Then sprinkle one or two small handfuls of cheese, just enough to stick.
Repeat layer a second time the same way, and then finish with a layer of tortillas and soup mixture only. Add the rest of the cheese until covered, and bake uncovered in a 350-degree oven for about 40-45 minutes, until cheese is golden and bubbly.
Let stand about 10 minutes, and serve with sour cream and salsa on top.

0 comments: