Filet Mignon

Sometimes I just crave meat, and this weekend for my one-man tailgate that was the case. I found two great cuts of filet mignon on sale at the local Acme Grocery store. I was really bummed when my apartment informed me I couldn't keep a grill in my unit, so I've had to learn to make them on the stove.

Ingredients:
-- Filet mignon
-- Garlic powder
-- Cayanne Peppe
-- Salt and Pepper
-- Worcestershire sauce
-- Soy Sauce

I put the clean steaks into a large freezer bag. It's easier, in my opinion, to season steaks in the bag because you don't have to keep washing your hands every time you turn the steaks over.

Sprinkle the seasonings over the steaks, coating both sides. I like to pat the seasoning into the steak, but not pierce it. Piercing the steaks creates holes where they can lose their juices during the cooking process.

Add Worcestershire and Soy sauces to the bag. Shake the bag to coat the steaks.

Let marinate in the fridge for at least an hour. If you can wait longer, then try to max out around six hours.

Heat a skillet on the stove I like to use Pam High Heat non-stick spray when cooking meat on the stove.

Filet mignon cooks really quickly. Cook on medium heat on both sides for about 4-6 minutes each. I use a meat thermometer to make sure its cooked the right amount. You can also turn the heat up to high when its about 5 degrees away from being finished to sear the outside and give it a nice grilled taste.

Let the steak sit for about 10 minutes to allow the juices to settle before cutting in and enjoying!

-Ginger

2 comments:

Eric Ruth said...

Sounds FAB-ulous. Here's how I thought of tweaking it toward a sweet/tangy sexiness as well: add dash (or 2) of Balsamic vinegar to marinade.

Love the blog! Keep on cookin', G.

eric

Sarah said...

i've never cooked steak, but now i really want to. i'm more of a fish person, but that looks goooood.