Potato Salad

Considering the failures of my recent cooking attempts, I decided to do something to boost my culinary ego. The go-to dish: potato salad.
I absolutely LIVE for my mom's potato salad. But she's currently 6 hours away, so that's not gonna happen. Instead I've had to learn to make it myself. While it still lacks just a bit to be desired from hers, I happen to think it's pretty darn delicious, and I'm improving it every time.
I don't like super mayonnaise-y potato salad. Mine has to be pretty mustardy-yellow and tangy. And it has to have a lot of pickles. So here it is (in one-person amounts):

Cut up and boil 1-2 regular baking potatoes, depending on size, until they slide off a fork stuck into them.
Remove from hot water, rinse with cold water, and peel skin off potatoes.
Put potatoes in a mixing bowl and add:
1/4-1/2 cup light mayo
1 1/2-2 tbsp. yellow mustard
2 1/2 tbsp dill relish
1/4 cup finely chopped onion (I prefer red onion)
1 hard-boiled egg, chopped fine
1 tsp fresh dill, chopped (if you have it, just adds an extra kick)
Seasoned salt and pepper, to taste
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
Dash of cayenne pepper

Mix together, but try not to mush up the potatoes too much. It should be a bright yellow color. The longer you let it sit, the better it will be. It's also really good if you add paprika to it. I have to admit, my favorite way to eat it is with some of my mom's BBQ sauce on top. She makes the best sauce, and something about the warm sauce and cold potato salad is SOO good!
Do y'all like potato salad? How do you eat it?

0 comments: