Low fat Egg Salad

Alright, per Ginger and Krysten's request, here is my egg salad recipe. I was really surpised to find I liked egg salad because I HATE mayo. If I'm going to eat mayo, it better be low fat and heavily disguised by other flavors. (I also was suprised that I like potato salad for the same reasons, but I only like the kind they serve at Minute Maid Park. I don't know what's in it, but someday when I'm rich I'm going to buy a luxury box and do nothing but fill out my scorecard and eat potato salad.)

Anyway, I found this recipe here and adapted it a little bit. I barely put any mayo, so mine is more chunky and less goopy. I added an handful of parsley, and lots of cracked black pepper. I've seen recipes that put all kinds of stuff in it, from peppers to bacon (hmmm spread that on a bagel or biscuit and have breakfast egg salad? That's an idea.) Green onions, chives or shallots might be good too.

I spread mine on toasted whole wheat bread (just regular sandwich bread works). If you don't toast it, its all too soft with the egg salad unless you use some hearty country bread or something. Any bread would be good.

4 Hard-boiled Eggs, peeled and chopped
Less than ¼ cup Light Mayonnaise
1 Celery Stalk (no ends or leaves), finely chopped
2 teaspoons Red, finely chopped
Handful of chopped parsley
1 ½ teaspoons Lemon Juice (freshly squeezed if possible)
To taste: Salt & Freshly Ground Black Pepper

1. Make sure your eggs are cooled, and chop them finely. I used a pastry cutter to get diced down small enough with out making a huge mess. Toss with chopped celery, which should also be very fine. You don't want to taste it, just to get that crunch.
2. Combine mayo, red onion, parsley and lemon juice in a separate bowl
3. Fold mayo mixture into egg mixture. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.

-Sarah

1 comments:

Ginger Gibson said...

Okay, I'm a fan of mayo, so I have to disagree about the reduction. I like to use Miracle Whip in my egg salad too.

I also like to put about a tablespoon of mustard in mine. And shallots.

I've never put celery in mine, but I like a smooth egg salad.

I do like to put bacon, not in the egg salad, but on top of it on the sandwich.

There is a convience store/deli chain here called Wawa, they have egg salad which is where I got my lunch today.